Monday 17 October 2011

Winning

I made what could have turned out to be a poor decision yesterday. I thought about how I was losing and winning at the $1.50 level and felt that a lot of my play was good, but I was being either called in spots where 'thinking' players would have to fold to a shove or just being played back at with lesser holdings which were getting lucky.



Looking at yesterdays results I am happy with how things went after I made the move from $1.50 to $3.50 games. The $1.50s were leaving me beaten in 6th place by poor players calling shoves in position with poor holdings, QQ beaten by K3s etc, but also the type of agressive end game I employ was being scuppered by lose calling on the bubble, for example I shove in the CO seat with A6o and get called by KJs or similar leaving my in acoin flip situation - better players would see this as a coin flip and fold, instead I was losing some of the coin flips and meaning that the wins n losses were racking up together but the strategy was not able to work.


The fifty50 $3.50 tourneys I busted out of were standard spots fairly early on QQ v KK, AKo v JJ etc where winning a flip there would have set me up well for the end game.

The strategy I employ is a lot more suited to thinking players, it is certainly not fool proof and involves being SUPER tight in the early stages. The pokerprolabs ranks indicate a players ability through a card and star ranking system, this can be used as a guide to players ability, someone designated an Ace or King will be fairly good whereas someone who is a 2, 3 or even up to Jack designation will be poor, making marginal choices and thinking top pair average kicker is good on a coordinated board against heavy action...

the $1.50 level of fifty50 games is littered with poor players, 1 game I played last night had the following (in finish order): 5, 10, K (me), NA, A, 6, 8, 10, 5, J. So in effect there were 2 good players, myself a king and the Ace designated player.



Contrast that to a $3.50 game where we get the following: 10, A, K, K, K, 10, 6, 10, 9, 7. This is an excellent result in reality as the bubble becomes playable, the poorer players have been taken out early leaving time to try build a stack to increase the end payout.

We will see how it goes, but $10 profit yesterday says things are looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment